The big reveal… the top of the wonky quilt is all finished. I really went heavy on the white space, like I said I would. It’s still being debated (with my spouse) whether or not I should add some other sort of detail or color to the outside, like pick out the seam between the white and the black and white outer border and add a thin strip of color to ‘put a box’ around the 4 squares or just leave it. I’m inclined to leave it- enough already. I think I’ll run it past the quilt guild ladies tomorrow- they’ll have some excellent ideas I’m sure.
I truly love the white and black geometric ‘step by step’ Alexander Henry outer border fabric and in this setting. I’ve been hoarding the 2 yards I have of it for some years now. I’ve always pictured it as a summer skirt. Well, it seemed to fit well here so I grabbed the scissors and cut before I could change my mind.
For a look at Part 1 and how to piece this type of squares, visit here.
Bonus feature: Here’s another finished quilt top, made by my 13 year old daughter… who was just playing around in the fabric strip scrap pile. I love to see the youngsters being clever and especially making entire quilts! Now we just need to get both quilt tops quilted and bound and placed on the end of our beds.
Here is how to make a fabric scrap pillow project, I think it’s safe to say that as seamstress and quilters we all have piles of fabric, sometimes already in strips, just waiting to be made into something- so why not a pillow? In this case, the front of the pillow is pieced and the back is a solid piece of fabric. I sewed on a little rick-rack and ribbon to the pieced side to add a little texture.
I had in mind this orangish fringe trim for the edges of the pillow, some trim I got at Tasha’s pieced goods, the big warehouse on the frontage road in Springville- before it changed into an antique mall.
I got a lot of really wacky colored lace, rick-rack and assorted trimmings extremely cheap before they (sadly) phased out that part of the store.
I searched my sewing room and could not find the fringe in question. It turned up the next day, in another tub full of trims in my crawl space…my pre-sewing room organizational system leftovers. At least NOW I know I really do have some orange fringe, and I can find it put away in it’s proper place from now on. So, this greenish trim found it’s way onto the pillow. It makes it a bit fancier, just the sort of thing kids can’t keep their hands off.