10 Easy Fabric Scrap Project Ideas
Enhance family time over the holidays by incorporating a project into the schedule. These projects are budget-friendly, all ages- so gather everyone up and get your creative on! Here are 10 easy fabric scrap project ideas to get you and yours into the upcycling frame of mind.
If you do any sort of sewing or crafting you most likely have a container- either a shoe box and maybe a storage unit- full of various-sized fabric scraps in your stash just waiting to be utilized.
Here are 10 easy fabric scrap project ideas to get you thinking, and then cutting. All these projects are made using stacked circles. Don’t stop there- start cutting out various shapes and see what you can come up with.
For quick connecting of layers I sewed the stacks all together with loop-the-loops sewn on the sewing machine. This technique shows off all the colors and designs and can be made into so many things:
1 – 2. Garlands, leave the circles all sewn and strung together to create a colorful accent. Make multiple garlands to hang on the Christmas tree. Hang garlands in a window, over a doorway or around a wreath.
3. Framed circles– under glass, no sewing necessary. Variations: create a scene of some sort (self portrait, favorite place etc.) with other shapes.
4. Pillow sham– circles can be machine-stitched or hand-stitched to the sham.
5. Christmas tree ornaments– be sure to make them attractive on both sides and sew in a piece of ribbon for hanging. For a rounder shape, add stuffing between layers of circles.
The brighter the better, choose fabric colors and designs that pop!
6. Make stacked circles into flowers, complete with stalks and leaves.
7 – 9. Dress up a plain skirt, purse or bag, or neckline of a t-shirt with stacked circles. Use various stitches on the sewing machine (or hand-stitch into place) and let the edges fray when washed.
Use buttons to add details (or embroidery stitches) and make the circles look like flowers, faces etc.
10. Small quilt– for the more serious project-minded individuals. And excellent handmade gift idea. For more examples of fabric scrap uses look here.
Any other helpful ideas or tips to add? Please share with a comment!